Followers

Monday, 27 January 2014

A little weaving...


It's my turn to share a project over at Crafty Ribbons Inspirations today.  I have a large ribbon canvas that I made at the end of last year to match my new duvet cover and curtains.


I have used a wooden frame from a bought canvas but knocking up a do it yourself frame from wood would also work well.


I had a great big bundle of ribbons to start with.  What I was after was lots of different widths and textures and I wanted a good percentage of the ribbons to be see through.  I hand dyed a few lengths of white ribbon and lace with India Ink to get the right shade of aqua.  Once I had found exactly what I was after I divided them in to two piles and started laying out my warp ribbons - the ones that go up and down.


Once I had roughly the right pattern I started stapling them directly on to the back of the wooden frame.  The key is to get them nice and taut.  When they were attached I started working on my weft ribbons - the ones that go from left to right.  


This time instead of stapling them straight away I wove them all and then when I was happy they were all in the right place I stapled them as before.  Again the key is nice and taut.


Here is a brief list of the ribbons I used: lace, summer breeze fibre, loopy cord, organza, grosgrain, saddlestitch, 3mm, bling edged 3mm, cotton, seam binding.


Thanks for stopping by!


5 comments:

  1. Wow that looks fabulous ! the colours and texture are great , Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this. If you had enough you could make a blind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like this Laura - beautiful colours to grace any wall. Thanks for stopping by to see me and your kind comment. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! what a fun idea! At first I wondered why you wanted "see through" ribbons, but you're right that looks much better! (I don't think I would have thought of that!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is fabulous. I immediately thought of doing the same with washi tape, but of course, you cannot weave sticky stuff. Great project - great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
I love to read your messages...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...