Followers

Thursday, 8 May 2014

The fakes!


I got to work thinking about what kit components I could fake.  In addition to patterned papers I thought I might have a go at making my own paperclips...


As always I started with a list and some sketches!  And then gathered the bits I would need.   used the wire from spiral bound note books that were finished.  I found it quite hard to manipulate the wire with out having things to bend it around.  I also found that cut ends needed to be sanded - I learnt that the hard way - ouch!


WARNING:


After giving myself a manicure I carried on with the paper fakes.  These are the patterned papers in the original kit


I thought I could forge the pink ombre chevrons, the big polka dots, the yellow stripes (from the add on) and I was determined to try something with the 'round sided diamond shape' - not really sure what to call that!!


I had four wooden 'round sided diamond shapes' which I glued to an acrylic stamp block with temporary adhesive.  I then used the stamp on scraps of white card to give the pattern (or a rough guesstimate of the pattern!  I need to double up the stamping to get the exact pattern but haven't done that in these photos - doh!)


Next up was the chevron.  I made a zig zag template from some thin card - see those triangles?  They got saved and I'm sure will turn up later in the month...  I have an idea!!  Anyway, the template, some watered done gesso of varying strengths, and a sheet of pink card stock all got mixed up... results down the bottom.


Then for the polka dots I simply punched out some circles in the right colours and stuck then to a white off cut.  I didn't make a whole sheet, just a snippet.

For the yellow stripes I used a ruler and white paint pen to mark out the pattern and filled in with some gesso.  Easy.

Here they are;


Really pleased with the papers - less so with the clips but you live and learn.  I also reminded myself how many shades of plain cardstock I have and how simple it is to make your own patterned papers.  The polka dots could be in any colourway and, for that matter, any punched out shape.  I might try butterflies next.  Or stars.  Right I'm off to play!

Thanks so much for stopping by!




7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to soldier on, despite that dramatic nail injury:) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative.. thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, the clips look wonderful! I think, though, that you chose some difficult wire to manipulate - the stuff they use for those binding springs is quite tough! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The forged paper looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "fakes" … especially that paper clip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clapping my hands over your counterfeits! I am still thinking of what I could use to try the paperclips - you almost need a grid of nails, or something... The papers I am swooning over - LOVE. Fab forgeries, my dear :~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you are brave making your own paperclips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
I love to read your messages...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...