Skip to main content

Fabric Book


This post first appeared on spiegelmomscraps.com as a guest post.

For my first guest post for Spiegel Mom Scraps I decided to make use of the gorgeous sequins.  I used two mixes - you can find all the sequins, mixes and plain, here.


I recycled an old fabric sample swatch for this little meditative fabric mini book.  I didn't want a very neat finish so I just used a zig zag sewing machine stitch around the edges of my fabric and left a few loose threads on show.

When I had my page blanks sewn I pulled out a couple of stencils and some modelling paste.  I picked through the words on the stencil and made my own sentence...


It reads,
"release yesterday and the day before that
surrender today and tomorrow.
find art and beauty"

When my modelling paste was dry I went through hand sewing a few sequins on each page.  Where possible I added a sequin on both sides of the fabric so none of the stitches were showing on the reverse side of the page.


When I had all my pages complete I bound the book with some fairly loose stitches and some buttons.  If the binding stitches were too tight it became hard to turn the pages.

I'll be back through out the next couple of weeks to share some more guest designer projects using Spiegel Mom Scraps products.  I can you tell there is a mini album coming up in a couple of days packed full of sequins, ribbon and wood veneer!  Stay tuned!


Comments

  1. Oh that's fabulous I a!m so in love with textile art at the !moment

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely.

    Hope you've had a nice weekend. Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
I love to read your messages...

Popular posts from this blog

Hoppity!

Hoppity hoppity!!  :) Hopeful you have arrived here from Fleur 's blog as part of the Crafty Ribbons Easter Hop .  If not and you've found yourself here wondering what on earth I'm on about (and let’s face it J you wouldn’t be the first!!) check out the Inspirations site for all the juicy details! My project for the hop is         Easter bunting!  I cut three templates first - a triangle pennant, a bird and a heart.        Then I cut the pennant shapes from fibre ribbon, threaded them on to some 3mm satin and evenly spaced them.  I embellished each flag with some beads...       I backed the birds and heart on some thin white card and glued them to the centre of the pennants.   My supplies list: yellow fibre , pink fibre , lime fibre , 3mm satin , button box , white card, glue, beads, needle and thread.   At each stop on the hop there'll be a word to collect and a candy draw. I've got these

WOYWW 159

Hello, Happy Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday !  As promised a picture of last Wednesdays 'work' finished off.  Post and more photos here . This week I'm showing off the beaded ATC I made... Tricky to photograph so your getting one with flash and one without... It was all parcelled up and sent off to Queen of Desks Julia .  Here is a basic of how it was made... (lots of waffle about wefts and warps!) I use a flexible beading needle.  It is mainly 'eye' so it is very easy to thread. And delica beads which are more regular and accurate than the better known seed bead.  They are slightly more rectangular than round so they line up better. Thread your needle with the weft thread.  (The cross ways thread that weaves back and forth.)  Pick up the beads... Pass the needlefull of beads underneath the warp (tight length ways) threads on the loom... ...and push each bead up in the corresponding g

DMIO: Teach Me Something

A few weeks back I made a dream catcher.  A few readers asked if I could show them how I made it, so, here is my attempt at a tutorial! First up weaving the web. 1. You'll need a hoop and some ribbon/thread/yarn on a bobbin. 2. Attach the ribbon securely to your hoop. 3. Take your ribbon over the top of the hoop... 4. and up through the loop you've just made with the ribbon... 5. so you have a cross over. 6. Continue steps 3-5 until you reach the knot. 7. Now instead of going over the hoop you will crossover the ribbon 8. and through the loop you've just made to give a crossover. Continue on in this fashion until you get to the middle. You need to leave a hole in the middle as this is where the good dreams get through!  They then run down the tassels/feathers/any other hanging decoration and on to the owner.  It should look something like this.  You'll need to play around with your tension until you get a firm web. Now for the tassels - I like to