Skip to main content

Lollipop Box Club | Art

Very excited to share my second project made using the April Lollipop Box Club kit 'Secret Garden'.

Lisa has included a little pot of paint in this month's box and added a suggestion that we paint some leaves.  I was having a meh day and this was exactly what I needed.



Painting is something that is very therapeutic for me, especially repetitive painting.  I spent some time painting leaves and sprigs with varying amounts of water and pigment, using gentle pressure on the bristles to create the curved shapes. I encouraged the blooms and watermarks by adding extra paint or water to leaves when they were half dry.  For me this is a fab no-pressure get-lost-in-the-moment kind of activity.


When I'd filled up the paper I had a little puddle of paint left on my desk so I smooshed a gessoed sheet of book paper in it.  I used this as a base to build up a background allowing layers to dry (or more accurately speeding up the drying with my heat gun) before adding more colour on top.  I finished off with splatters of paint and water and set it aside to do its own thing and fully dry.


I fussy cut all of my leaf sprigs which again is quite a meditative and therapeutic thing to do.  Once my background was dry I crumpled it up and added some white sewing around the edge.   I layered it on to some green card arranged the leaves to the left of the page.  As I said, I was having a meh day so I journalled my heart out in tiny barely readable writing (always worried someone will read what I've written!) on a long strip of paper, folded it up and tucked it in a glassine bag.  I added a few sentiment snippets to the outside of the bag.  I held that on to the page with a copper heart paperclip.



Having kept everything very monochromatic until now I suddenly felt the need to add a touch of another colour.  A couple of lilac-y butterflies from the sticker sheet were just what it needed.  To finish off, you guessed it, I added some sequins from my stash.  I pulled out some coppery toned flat sequins to echo the paperclip and some purple cupped sequins to go with the butterflies.  As I was looking through my collection some large iridescent white sequins also caught my eye so I dotted a few of them around the page too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WOYWW 159

Hello, Happy Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday !  As promised a picture of last Wednesdays 'work' finished off.  Post and more photos here . This week I'm showing off the beaded ATC I made... Tricky to photograph so your getting one with flash and one without... It was all parcelled up and sent off to Queen of Desks Julia .  Here is a basic of how it was made... (lots of waffle about wefts and warps!) I use a flexible beading needle.  It is mainly 'eye' so it is very easy to thread. And delica beads which are more regular and accurate than the better known seed bead.  They are slightly more rectangular than round so they line up better. Thread your needle with the weft thread.  (The cross ways thread that weaves back and forth.)  Pick up the beads... Pass the needlefull of beads underneath the warp (tight length ways) threads on the loom... ...and push each bead up in the corresponding g

Hoppity!

Hoppity hoppity!!  :) Hopeful you have arrived here from Fleur 's blog as part of the Crafty Ribbons Easter Hop .  If not and you've found yourself here wondering what on earth I'm on about (and let’s face it J you wouldn’t be the first!!) check out the Inspirations site for all the juicy details! My project for the hop is         Easter bunting!  I cut three templates first - a triangle pennant, a bird and a heart.        Then I cut the pennant shapes from fibre ribbon, threaded them on to some 3mm satin and evenly spaced them.  I embellished each flag with some beads...       I backed the birds and heart on some thin white card and glued them to the centre of the pennants.   My supplies list: yellow fibre , pink fibre , lime fibre , 3mm satin , button box , white card, glue, beads, needle and thread.   At each stop on the hop there'll be a word to collect and a candy draw. I've got these

WOYWW & Card Deck Swap

First up is my desk ... Hmm.  Perhaps the less said the better!  I really should have a sort out but I fancy desking instead! Next I want to share my card deck swaps (deskers don't have to stay for this bit but I reckon you'd enjoy joining in with us, which is why I'm including it in this post) You can read about the swap here on Jessica's blog and sign up here .  Basically, we take a deck of cards, add paint and/or paper, then add a positive sentiment to each card.  Post them to Jessica who shuffles them and sends back 52 different cards from different artists (yes, you are an artist!) from all over the world. These few are ones I have picked out to display first.  I'll swap them round after a few weeks.  Do you like my domino pegs?  :) Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you'll at least consider joining us for the card swap - it's like a super sized ATC swap, and all WOYWW er's know they are fun! See you at your desk x